Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island 2021 medical and dental plans focus on keeping people healthy and maximizing their savings
Digital offerings, wellness rewards of up to $500 per household and discounts on fitness programs, lifestyle services and health-related products among plan features
PROVIDENCE, RI (November 12, 2020) –Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI) is offering individuals and families medical and dental plans for the 2021 open enrollment period that feature innovative tools and programs to make healthy living more convenient and affordable for Rhode Islanders during this challenging time. BCBSRI proudly supports the comprehensive health and well-being of members through a variety of added value benefit programs.
BCBSRI is also offering families and individuals a variety of accessible ways to find the plan that’s right for them. Enrollment specialists are available during free virtual enrollment fairs, scheduled one-on-one consultations via Zoom and by phone, and during Facebook Live information sessions and Q&As. Detailed health plan information is also available online at bcbsri.com.
“We’ve enhanced our plans and features in 2021 so individuals and families can choose a plan that fits their lifestyle and supports their health and well-being with the added value of discount programs and wellness rewards,” said Melissa Cummings, executive vice president and chief customer officer at BCBSRI. “Customers can easily determine what they need most in a health plan and choose a plan that is tailored to their specific needs, all with convenient access to high-quality providers.”
For 2021, BCBSRI is offering a range of health plans that are designed to meet consumers’ needs and preferences with a variety of options, including basic plans with traditional benefits, local network plans with lower premiums and a more innovative plan that offers tax-saving opportunities through a health savings account (HSA). All plans cover preventive services, including annual exams, at no cost to members, and full coverage for flu shots, education for chronic health conditions and other preventive services when received in-network.
BCBSRI also offers several options for dental plans each offering in- and out-of-network coverage from coast-to-coast, as well as pediatric dental benefits. Enhanced non-surgical periodontal benefits are also available at no additional cost to individuals with a diagnosis of diabetes or coronary artery disease.
Some of the specific benefits in BCBSRI individual and family health plans include:
- CVS Pharmacy® Discount: 20 percent in-store discount on thousands of CVS Pharmacy brand health-related items.
- Wellness Rewards: Earn up to $500 per household in wellness rewards for the member and their covered spouse by syncing activity devices (e.g. Fitbit, Max Buzz or Apple watches) with the Virgin Pulse® app to track wellness activities and fitness goals.
- Blue365®: Discounts on a variety of programs and services, such as fitness centers, athletic wear/equipment, personal care (hearing, skin, vision, dental) and lifestyle (hotel, travel).
BCBSRI also offers a number of digital tools to help individuals and families get the most of out their health plan. They include:
- myBCBSRI: Online experience tailored to each member, providing a faster and easier way to view benefits, and check claims, as well as access digital ID cards, electronic documents, claim status, benefit information and more.
- Doctors Online: Telehealth platform that connects members with top-rated, board-certified doctors from a smartphone, tablet or computer 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Virtual Fitness Classes: Free online fitness classes streamed via Facebook Live with a new expanded class schedule launching in 2021.
- Cost Calculator: Compare costs for services across network providers or hospitals to make better-informed choices when a medical test or procedure is needed.
- SmartShopper®: Online comparison tool that helps members compare in-network providers and find the most cost-effective location of their choice (only available for plans outside of BCBSRI’s HSA-qualified high deductible health plans).
Due to the Rhode Island health insurance mandate, all Rhode Island residents are required to maintain health insurance coverage for all months beginning January 1, 2020, with penalties for failure to do so. Individuals and families who do not receive health coverage from an employer can enroll in a 2021 plan until December 31, 2020 for coverage that will start on January 1, 2021.*
Ways to connect with BCBSRI:
- By phone: 401-459-5550 or 1-855-690-2583 (TTY:711), or schedule by using BCBSRI’s online scheduler.
- Online: Review benefits, make plan changes and more at bcbsri.com
- In person: Make an appointment to visit Your Blue Store in Cranston, East Providence, Lincoln and Warwick.
*The open enrollment period has been extended this year. From January 1, 2021 through January 23, 2021, you can sign up for coverage that begins on February 1, 2021.